Skip to main content

Memoirs of my December : Part I : Delhi

This one's a non-poem post by me after a long,long time. But it had
to be something special to make it to this blog, and so it is.
This one's about my holidays in the last month. Here it goes...

8th Dec 2010: Everything was looking set. Exams were going to get over
in two days time, and I was going to fly off to nani's place in Delhi
after 5 long months at college.
So i was evidently happy the evening when an sms from Spice Jet that
wiped the smile clean off my face. It stated that my flight had been
cancelled due to 'unforeseen circumstances' and that 'the inconvinence
caused was deeply regretted' .... yeah right! After a series of calls
between me and dad, it was decided that he would go and check out at
the airport as to what SpiceJet was going to do about the whole situation
since I had my last exam on 10th and had to prepare for it

9th Dec 2010: Dad visited the airport, SpiceJet informed him that they
would be happy to adjust me in a flight to Delhi which took off an hour
earlier than the one I was listed on earlier in the same price.On top
of that they would give me a 1000 bucks discount the next time I chose to
fly with them (which was going to be in January) to make up for the
'inconvinience caused'. So, everything was happy happy once again and I
prepared for my last exam in peace.

10th Dec 2010: Exams get over! What was even better was the fact that my
friends in other disiplines still had one or two papers left, which meant
I was going to get home when before they were finished!! [ Sadist, I Know ;) ]

11th Dec 2010: I take off, land in Delhi. Plan was that dad was going to join
me and mom the next day in Delhi (mom was there in Delhi before I got there)
So, i get down on IGI, call mom dutifully to inform her that her baccha had landed
in the city! And guess what she had to say next to me... "Beta, tu akele aa to
jayega na? Ya main aaon fatafat airport lene, 10 min mein aa jaungi.."
And my award winning reply : "Haan ma, aa hi jaao.. Nahi to ye 21 saal ka
baccha aapka, Dilli jaise sheher mein kahin kho jaayega..." To this she laughed and
said: "Ghar aa tab teri khabar leti hoon!" I reached home and all that was waiting
for me was lots and lots of food, and two lovely ladies - naani and mom!

12th Dec 2010- [Don't be scared dear reader, its not a day by day account... going to
fast track in a bit... hang in there :P] Dad reaches Delhi. Big happy small family
reunion after months! Nanu's barsi hawan was scheduled the next day, and my presence
was necessary, since I had to perform all the rituals. So, this was going to be the first
hawan by this young Brahmin (me)... I was a bit nervous, since it was for Naanu, I wanted
it to be done right in every possible way.

13th Dec 2010- Nanu's Hawan gets over, all rites and rituals performed in the best possible manner. An intersting incident happened during the Hawan. As panditji kept stroking the pieces of wood kept lower in the hawan kund, Sobhag Nanu (my nanu's elder brother) said,"Hawan kund mein ventilation thoda kam dikhta hai Panditji" Panditji's reply was" Isliye toh lakdiyon ko upar neeche kar raha hoon, wo kya hai na ke neeche waali lakdiyan jalkar carbon dioxide banaa deti hain, jisse agni bujhne lagti hai" I must say, as an Engineer, I was impressed!
After the hawan I was happy, relieved and lost in Nanu's thoughts, when Panditji who was having his lunch, asked me, 'So Beta, Where are you studying your engineering?" [Yes, he said that in these exact words, in English!] I was pleasently surprised as I told him about my college. Later mom told me that Panditji had been doing all Hawans and Poojas for our family since the time he was working in a Bank... There you go, that explains his impecible English. I kept thinking about this as I went to drop him back to the temple. In the car... we discussed Delhi's pollution crisis and I wondered.... how people evolved with time!

14th-18th Dec 2010- With the Hawan over, dad was set to go go back to Jaipur the next day. But that next day never showed up until 19th Dec as dad kept postponing it... perhaps he too wanted the get together not to end and chose us over the ton of work waiting for him in Jaipur. I would like to mention one thing here which might have had a role in this episode. Now, in the earlier holidays, I always used to fill up my laptops with movies/tv shows to help me pass my time at home, and my choice being as good as it is, those movies and shows used to end up being too engaging for me to leave in between.So I used to sit for hours and hours
in front of the laptop watching them and usually mom would say, "Holidays laptop ke saath hi bitaani thi to wahin reh jaata, yahan kyun aaya... mummy-papa ke saath to time bitayega nahi, bas ussi ke saath laga rehta hai din bhar" .... This time was going to be no different, until a brilliant idea struck me - why not make mom and dad watch that stuff with me! So, I convinced mom and dad to sit and watch 'Prison Break' episodes with me...
Mom forgot her saas-bahu dramas (well, almost) and Dad began to say this all throughout the day - "Scholefield  (the protagonist of the story) dikha raha hai ya nahi?" Thus the cold and chilly winter nights in Delhi were  spent accompanying Micheal Scholefield and Lincon Burrows in their breathtaking adventures...

19th-25th Dec 2010- Dad finally left for Jaipur. Me,mom and Nani were left in Delhi. These days were spent in various activities which included more Prison Break episodes (Me and Mom in Delhi and Dad kept pace with us in Jaipur as I had given him some episodes in a pen drive), Me and Nani listening to songs after dinner or in the evening, Me flooding my newest friend's inbox with songs and surprises, chatting with her someimes, telling her how she could pass her travelling time in the bus from college to home chatting with me on a mobile software (name of the software withheld as they've not paid me for advertising as yet ;) ). Me and mom even went to CP and Khan Market - two of my favorite places in Delhi (even Nani accompanied us to CP!). So in all it was a fun week too.


[Part II coming soon......]

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In Love with my Life!

Its official now, travelling in Goa just puts some wonderful things into my head. So here I am, sharing one more of mt experiences with you all. I dropped an year after school to prepare for Engineering entrance exams. Now, during that period, there was an intense pressure on me, not created by anybody else, but my own mind. The only thing on my mind was getting into a good engineering college. Those days, my friends who had already got into college after school, used to visit me during their holidays.  One of them was Sambhav Karnawat who had gotten into IIT-Kanpur, one of the premiere institutes of engineering not only in India, but the world as well. As aspirants, me and those preparing with me used to dream about getting there or any one of the seven IITs which existed at that time. I remember getting t stressed by all the work it took, and I also remember asking Smabhav once , “Hey yaar…. Is it all worth IT?” And he answered, “It sure is.” That and things similar to it used to mo

The Year Gone By: 2010

It started, with the memories of loss of a person who i thought would never say bye. Then it went a bit further, in a pretty lousy manner it was really hard seeing my hopes of success almost die. Along came the summer, brought me back home was introduced to a 'professional' world where new people said hi. I got back to college, rains washed away my fears,my tears hope began to glisten again and i was ready to look into the sky. By the year end, things had improved quite a bit found a new friend to talk to to whom I just couldn't lie. Staring into the new year, I feel my goals are a bit more clear i can do a lot more than to look back and just cry.

Beauty

As a lovely Sunday fades into the night, I realize how beautiful life can be, I see the beauty that lies around me, and feel the beauty that is out of sight. The beauty of a simple smile, The beauty of a good morning wish, The beauty in a conversation  which can disarm me completely for a while. The beauty when a tree waves at me, The beauty of the clouds as they gather, The beauty of the leaves that rustle, And the beauty of the breeze that sets them free. The beauty of a lovely present, The beauty weaved into past memories, The beauty of a future which awaits me, with open arms without any resent. The beauty in visualizing dreams, The beauty in waiting for them to get fulfilled, The beauty lies in life itself, maybe not in full, but in parts it seems.