Skip to main content

The Case of the mistaken identity

No... this is not a description of a CID episode as u might have guessed from the title. This is all about a really funny incident which i was narrating to a friend today, when the idea struck me that i should share it with you all. So here goes... 

Okay, so this happened to me last summer, that is in 2009. Before jumping tothe incident itself, a little background first. My dearest chachu is a CA (Chartered Account), and i always kept hearing from him about these wonderful ICAI (Institute of Chartered Accountants of India) conferences he kept attending in Jaipur, which had awesome lunches, special performances by bollywood playback singer so on and so forth. But they always happened at times when I had exams. But last summer ICAI was celebrating 50 years of its existence in Agra at the Jaypee Hotel. Again chachu was invited to attend the same, with a free stay for two at Mansingh group of Hotels in Agra. Luckily for me, my little cousin Devashish (chachu's son) had exams at that time, so my chachi couldn't go there with him. This meant a vacant spot on a seemingly cool holiday, which was filled bu none other than yours truly (me!!). So after a great drive and all we got to Agra, the hotel and all was awesome as well..... now zipping forward to the day of the incident. Chachu had to leave for the conference at 9 in the morning, and he said that i'll probably get bored there,so i decided to stay back at the hotel. After bath and breakfast,i sat in front of the tv until i got bored of it by lunch time. So i decided to go for a walk outside the hotel, and grab lunch some place nearby. Before i get ahead any further,let me tell you a bit about the context to follow. If you have met me , you would've noticed that i'm quite fair complexioned (blush blush)... so just remember that fact before you read any further. Okay, so i got down to the parking lot,wearing my shades, and as i was exiting the hotel's gate , a herd of Autowala's started following me (now don't you get any wrong ideas or contexts, i've got quite a big built with that fair face as well). Upto half a kilometer this chase continued before the leader of the herd finally caught up with me and said, "Hallo Sir!! How are? Phirst time to India? Where u going? Do you want see Taj Mahal... symbol of love... do you want to go see Sikri, capital of Shehenshah Akbar?? I will take,i will take you" Clearly the guy(s) had mistaken me for a foreigner, and i don't know what happened but this kind of sparked some mischievous side of mine. So i replied to him in American accent, " Ya ya ya.... The Taj Mahal, i really wanna see that, i've heard a lot about it... will you take me there? How much money will you charge for a round trip?? " The guy thought "Aaj to vilayati bakra fas gaya" and replied with an innocent smirk, "Phipty US Dollars only sir!".... I would have carried the prank forward, but my stomach began to gurgle, so i decided to end it there and replied," Dollars to hain nahin bhaiyya. Rupiye chalenge... wo kya hai na... main kabhi amrika gaya nahin, Jaipur se Agra aaya hun pehli baar!" As i said those words in as straightforward Hindi as i could, i could see the smirk faint away from his face, being replaced by a look of disgust, the kind which appears on the face of a kid, when you tell him to leave his toys and study instead. With a hint of embarrassment and saying nothing to me, he turned and walked away, giving the sad news to his 'herd'. I continued to walk and finally found an cycle rikshaw, who took me to the nearest McD. With that lunch ended the most amusing afternoon i've had as yet.

Comments

  1. so, phinally u got something phunny to post here... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep... but 'The False sense of achievement' bhi to funny tha .....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In Love with my Life!

Its official now, travelling in Goa just puts some wonderful things into my head. So here I am, sharing one more of mt experiences with you all. I dropped an year after school to prepare for Engineering entrance exams. Now, during that period, there was an intense pressure on me, not created by anybody else, but my own mind. The only thing on my mind was getting into a good engineering college. Those days, my friends who had already got into college after school, used to visit me during their holidays.  One of them was Sambhav Karnawat who had gotten into IIT-Kanpur, one of the premiere institutes of engineering not only in India, but the world as well. As aspirants, me and those preparing with me used to dream about getting there or any one of the seven IITs which existed at that time. I remember getting t stressed by all the work it took, and I also remember asking Smabhav once , “Hey yaar…. Is it all worth IT?” And he answered, “It sure is.” That and things similar to it used to mo

The Year Gone By: 2010

It started, with the memories of loss of a person who i thought would never say bye. Then it went a bit further, in a pretty lousy manner it was really hard seeing my hopes of success almost die. Along came the summer, brought me back home was introduced to a 'professional' world where new people said hi. I got back to college, rains washed away my fears,my tears hope began to glisten again and i was ready to look into the sky. By the year end, things had improved quite a bit found a new friend to talk to to whom I just couldn't lie. Staring into the new year, I feel my goals are a bit more clear i can do a lot more than to look back and just cry.

Beauty

As a lovely Sunday fades into the night, I realize how beautiful life can be, I see the beauty that lies around me, and feel the beauty that is out of sight. The beauty of a simple smile, The beauty of a good morning wish, The beauty in a conversation  which can disarm me completely for a while. The beauty when a tree waves at me, The beauty of the clouds as they gather, The beauty of the leaves that rustle, And the beauty of the breeze that sets them free. The beauty of a lovely present, The beauty weaved into past memories, The beauty of a future which awaits me, with open arms without any resent. The beauty in visualizing dreams, The beauty in waiting for them to get fulfilled, The beauty lies in life itself, maybe not in full, but in parts it seems.